Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Disclaimers

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:45:07 -0400

Hi:

That works as well.  There is a definite mixed camp on this issue and the best I can tell is that a lot of companies
use them, especially in the HIPAA realm, to basically have some liability coverage (i.e. screen banners are what I
would somewhat see as a similar area).

However,  please don't send me a long list of reasons as to the whys and wherefores of the opinion - I value them - I
truly do - but I have read literally thousands of differing opinions over the past 2 weeks and am a bit burned out on
those.  lol      there seems to be about a 60-40 split with 60% being yes they are needed and 40% being no, they are
not needed.

That being said if you want to respond that they have no use that is a good data point for me to have and I will
compile those responses into the feedback I provide the listserv.  Please send responses directly to me if you don't
mind.

Warm Regards,

- Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin,  CISM, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, CRISC, PMP, ITIL Master Certified
Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) & Assistant Vice President
Administration & Finance
TEWG-Region 6 TLO

University of Cincinnati
513-556-9177

The University of Cincinnati is one of America's top public research institutions and one of the region's largest
employers, with a student population of more than 42,700.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information protected by state and federal privacy laws
(including, but not limited to, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996("HIPAA"). Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.