Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Areiso study identifies wireless bandwidth hogs

From: Martin Manjak <mmanjak () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 09:00:34 -0500

Good morning,

Arieso released a study identifying the portable/mobile devices that use
the most wireless bandwidth and predicts dire consequences if carriers
don't commit to increasing capacity.

Among their findings, they state that "1% of of all users now consume
half of the entire download data."

As more campus traffic migrates to our wireless networks, the increased
usage has implications for our monitoring and IDS/IPS efforts.

Press release: http://www.arieso.com/news-article.html?id=89 led to a

Analysis:
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/01/06/dont-blame-the-iphone-4s-if-your-network-is-congested/
more insightful.
--

Martin Manjak
CISSP, GIAC GSEC-G

The University at Albany will never ask you to reveal your password.
Please ignore all such requests.