Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Retention of NAT translations and Connections

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 23:03:30 -0500

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 19:37:44 PST, Mike Iglesias said:
The longer you keep logs, the more you open yourself up to discovery requests
should a suit or other legal action arise.  The more data to go through, the
more man hours it takes to do so.  I'm not saying to dump your logs as fast as
possible, but you need to keep discovery in mind as well as why you need the
logs in the first place (troubleshooting, monitoring, etc).

You should sit down with your campus lawyer(s) and discuss this with them as
well as asking for advice here.  They may have some important input to the
process that you will need to keep in mind as you work this out.

What the heck, I just posted this URLa few seconds ago on a similar thread on
NANOG...

https://www.eff.org/wp/osp - Best Practices for Online Service Providers.

And what Mike said - take the EFF recommendations and run them past a lawyer
you paid to give you advice.   With luck, you'll find a policy that makes both the
EFF and your lawyer happy. :)