Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Retention of NAT translations and Connections

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 20:08:35 -0500

To me, "acceptable" is the lowest common denominator, not ideal.

I think you should first define a policy on the purpose of keeping such
log information, and publish it in your AUP.  Is it for monitoring
users, or is it for troubleshooting problems or issues?  I suspect most
of us fall into the latter, and for that purpose 30 days should be more
than adequate.  You also should consider a policy of what, if anything,
you do with that log information you collect and hold for whatever time
you determine.

My personal thought is that the more user information you log and store,
the more responsibility IT has should an issue arise.  After all, "it
was in your logs, why didn't you catch it and do something about it"

Just my two cents...  And I concur if you have any questions, work with
your legal team.

---
Dave Koontz
Mary Baldwin College