Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Classification and Storage Environments

From: "SCHALIP, MICHAEL" <mschalip () CNM EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 12:51:42 -0700

Sorry.....but, to me that sounds like too much of a shotgun approach.  I'd be hard pressed to equate the lunch menu
from the cafeteria to someone's social security number on a form.  I've always felt that there has to be some varying
levels of protection, but mixed in with some sense of reality and commonsense.....protecting data usually comes back to
having a clear definition of your protections required on specific data classifications - and making sure that the
users are clear on what those definitions mean to them and their business unit - and then giving them the technological
means of meeting your policy requirements....

Protect the SSN.....don't worry about the lunch menu.....;-)

Just my $.02.....