Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Classification and Storage Environments

From: Robert Meyers <remeyers () MAIL WVU EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 14:39:21 -0500

I've heard the argument two ways:

1) Attempting to secure ALL data at the same high level is futile, and
2) Applying different levels of security to different data classifications leaves high security data open to disclosure
if incorrectly classified, or provides an unexpected back door to climb upwards in the system.

In my personal opinion, lock it all down at the highest security level and sleep better at night.

Bob

Robert E. Meyers,  Ms.Ed.
Educational Program Manager
  Office of Information Security