Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Identity creation standards using PII

From: base <base () UNM EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:05:59 -0700

Colleagues,

Conversations are taking place at UNM with respect to auto-generating identity credentials, and using PII to do that.

I have my professional thoughts on the use of PII to auto-generate identity credentials (for use by persons, and by
systems for provisioning), but to get a bit more of a sense of where others are, I'm curious:

What are you all doing?  Do you use PII in auto-creating identities (and do you publish those credentials)?

Do you have a sense of whether best practices are moving toward the use of PII for such purposes, or do you all think
this practice is on the decline?

Thank you for your time, and if you all respond to me directly and off-list, I'll summarize to the group.

Again, I appreciate your time and attention.

Jeff Gassaway, CISSP, CIPP
Information Security Officer
University of New Mexico

PS -- apologies for the cross post between security / policy / and privacy.