Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Desktop Administrator Question

From: Steve Kuchta <skuchta () VCU EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 15:39:28 -0500

We have been working with privilege-elevation software which allows us to remove admin privileges from users and setup a whitelist of installers and/or applications that when launched, the software temporarily grants admin rights to the user. While we are still in the roll-out process for this, feedback has been very positive so far. The tool we're using is called Viewfinity, but I believe there are other similar options out there.

With Viewfinity, there are a couple of ways of handling circumstances when users need to install software not on the whitelist. As we have it setup right now, a request comes into us for approval.

http://www.viewfinity.com/Products/PrivilegeManagement/Elevate-Privileges.aspx

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Kuchta
skuchta () vcu edu <mailto:skuchta () vcu edu>

Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations will never use email to request that you reply with your password, social security number or confidential personal information. For more details visit http://go.vcu.edu/phishing.