Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Whole Disk Encryption

From: Robert Meyers <remeyers () MAIL WVU EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 16:04:15 -0500

Please see the following:
http://rechten.uvt.nl/koops/cryptolaw/index.htm
http://rechten.uvt.nl/koops/cryptolaw/cls2.htm#Wassenaar

This map is a good graphical reference for import and export restrictions:
http://rechten.uvt.nl/koops/cryptolaw/cls-sum.htm

From our colleagues at Princeton University "May I take my encrypted laptop when traveling internationally?"
http://www.princeton.edu/itsecurity/services/encryption/travel/

Bob

Robert E. Meyers,  Ms.Ed.
Educational Program Manager
  Office of Information Security
West Virginia University
office: (304) 293-8502
remeyers () mail wvu edu

On Thursday, January 05, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU> wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:20:14 EST, Robert Meyers said:
and foreign governments.  We have heard stories of laptops and even
encrypted USB flash sticks being seized at foreign customs and the owners
detained by law enforcement.

OK, I'll bite - what countries besides the US are doing this?