Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google announces privacy changes, no opt out for users

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:23:20 -0600

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 09:01 -0600, John Kristoff wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:24:08 -0600
Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU> wrote:

I'm aware of some alternatives, but I'm curious about reputation. What
do people here use other than virustotal?

I can't speak to reputation, but here are a few popular alternatives.
Not all of these do exactly the same thing, but they do at least provide
a similar sort of service:

  <http://anubis.iseclab.org/>

yep, these guys are good for getting an analysis

  <http://fileadvisor.bit9.com/services/search.aspx>
I don't think I've seen this one before, thanks!

  <http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/MHR/>
  <http://www.threattrack.com/>
  <http://www.threatexpert.com/submit.aspx>

  <http://virusscan.jotti.org/en>
This is one I've started using. Note, they also require javascript "just
because" (c'mon, it doesn't require javascript to do a simple form, but
for some reason the submit button isn't active until you permit their
domain -- I haven't analyzed what their javascript does, but the fact
they require it for *submit* button is not encouraging).

  <http://wepawet.iseclab.org/>

I've never had wepawet ever find anything, even on files simple enough
for manual examination it would conclude it was safe.

Tim Doty