Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommendation Needed - Software packages for tracking/securing patient records

From: "Wayne S. Martin" <MartinW () BRCC EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:30:30 +0000

Michael Schalip wrote on 01/24/12:

Along the same lines of "health centers" - our Student Health Center is still on paper records and has been told that
they need to move to "electronic records management".  We have a student body of ~30,000, with a total of ~50,000
active student health records at any given point in time.  It's a very small clinical setting with only 2-3 health
providers, but the data clearly falls under HIPAA.  We know we need to get them off "paper", but neither we, nor they,
are sure what software packages they should be looking at.

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.....

After 30+ years in healthcare and experience with many healthcare vendors, I recommend you review Epic Systems
Corporation at http://www.epic.com/. They have systems for both large and small organizations in inpatient and
outpatient environments. In my experience, they have a strong implementation strategy and good customer support.

Wayne Martin
ISO, Blue Ridge Community College