Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

OCSP/HTTPS site issues? Certificate validation?

From: Shayne Ghere <sghere () FSMAIL BRADLEY EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:57:16 -0600

Hello.

Just wondering if anyone else was having problems getting to websites
within the past few weeks that are secure sites?   We can get to them by
disabling the “Use the Online Certificate Status Protocol” from within
Firefox 9.0.1, but when this is enabled the site won’t load.

It all began around the week of December 18th, and is still continuing.
It appears as though several of the sites we’re trying to connect to all
updated their SSL certificates during this time.

What’s interesting is if we try to reach the same website from home it
works.   But when we come back to campus, we have the issue (using the same
laptop).   There is nothing that “I” know of that could be the problem on
our end (network/firewall).

There’s not much chatter about others experiencing the issue, however I’ve
found some blog posts that mention it with no understanding of what’s
causing it.

If you may have any ideas as to what the problem is, I’d appreciate the
input.

Thanks

Shayne

-----------------------------