Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: disabling some phishing forms

From: Drew Perry <aperry () MURRAYSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:09:53 -0600

Bob,
I'd be curious as to the legal implications of making changes to an
external server you do not control, even if it were suspected to be
compromised. Unauthorized access of a computer system can be interpreted
many different ways in different jurisdictions. As an alternative, I'd
recommend a quick call to your firewall admin (who may also be you) to
temporarily block access from your campus to the offending system while you
investigate with the owner. That doesn't protect your remote users, but it
may be the safer choice from a legal stance.

Drew Perry
Security Analyst
Murray State University
(270) 809-4414
aperry () murraystate edu

*P*  Save a tree. Please consider the environment before printing this
message.