Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting Computers and Portable Media

From: Bret Ingerman <ingerman () VASSAR EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:36:55 -0400

Bret Ingerman
Vice President for Computing and Information Services
Vassar College
124 Raymond Avenue
Poughkeepsie, NY  12604

                ingerman () vassar edu
(845) 437-7605  - phone            (845) 437-7050  - fax

We are currently PGP clients and encrypt many of our laptops and a few desktops.  However, we have been burned on a few
occasions by PGP not keeping up with OS patches which is a big problem with a pre-empt solution.  On three occasions
that has left us with computers that would not boot after the user allowed their system to be updated (and it has
happened with both Windows and Mac computers) and has necessitated a visit by one of our consultants.  And, it took PGP
a few months before they had a Lion compatible version.  So we are in the process of moving to Dell Data Protection
(which is a re-branded version of Credant).  We like that they are not pre-boot, that they support multiple desktop and
mobile devices, and that they are working on cloud encryption (for example, for Dropbox).

  --Bret