Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Encrypting Computers and Portable Media

From: "Self, Dennis" <dlself () SAMFORD EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 17:06:33 +0000

Colleagues,
Samford University is looking at encryption solutions for personal computers and portable memory devices (memory
sticks, CD/DVD, etc.)  As a long-term solution for computers, we are considering buying encrypting hard drives on new
machines.  We lease computers, so should be able to see the computers all protected after 3-4 years.
For shorter term and portable media we are looking to find the best software solution(s) we can find, for Windows and
OS X, and for portable media.  We are looking at Truecrypt as an alternative.  Would you tell me the top three vendors
you would recommend, and offer any opinion you would like to,please?
Kind regards,
Dennis Self
Director, IT Security & Compliance
Technology Services