Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: remote access for linux clients

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:37:35 -0400

On 09/29/2011 12:33 PM, Entwistle, Bruce wrote:
We are currently looking into options for connecting remote linux users
to servers located on our internal network.  In the past we have
utilized firewall translations to allow direct access, but are looking
to for a solution which utilizes a more secure encrypted connection.  We
currently use a Cisco ASA for VPN connections for our windows and MAC
users, but the last version of a linux client was released over three
years ago.  So there doesn’t look to be much support in this area.

Depending on how many clients you're talking about, a host inside the
network running OpenVPN and acting as a server for the incoming
connections might be a good option.

If you put it together with certificate authentication, the end-user
experience is pretty seamless.

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu