Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WPA2/Enterprise startup/rollout headaches...

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:23:46 -0400

Many thanks for all of the responses, and a little follow-up is in order
after finally getting this to work :)

We were making our attempt using CentOS 5.6 / samba3x package (3.5.4) /
latest Radiator package / Active Directory (Win2K8).

Everything worked up to EAPOL, then things fell apart.  Googling
suggested a Samba issue on CentOS.  So we tried Ubuntu, with no
success.  Downloaded source for 3.5.9 from samba.org, but it was
shared-library dependent, and we had difficulties getting it linked
properly and/or launched/invoked from Radiator.  Many other annoyances.

Yanked out CentOS 5.6 samba3x packages, and reinstalled older "samba"
packages (3.0.33) instead.  kinit works, ntlm_auth works, winbindd
happy, net ads join works, Radiator works, laptop associates and pulls
an IP via WPA2, success!

Initial testing let us do WPA2/Enterprise with Win7, MacOS, and an
iPhone without any special troubles.  Which makes me wonder now, is
there enough fuss left over to look at some "setup" tool like
XpressConnect?  I haven't tried an XP or Vista wireless yet, but it
appears the "current" majority of devices connect just fine.

Jeff