Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WPA2/Enterprise startup/rollout headaches...

From: Josh Richard <jrichar4 () D UMN EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:59:12 -0500

Hi Jeff,

WPA2 enterprise is flexible and you have a number of options.  I am
sure most would agree that living with it from a desktop support
perspective is much harder than getting it working (which is hard).

Are you supporting TTLS and PEAP at the same time?  If you use TTLS,
you need a certificate in the RADIUS server.
My questions implicate your RADIUS server as it may not be looking
into the inner or outer (PEAP or EAP) tunnels at the correct time
during the process.  I ran into this with FreeRADIUS.  Also check the
windows login settings.  Our first working test client was an andriod
phone...:) you may want to initially test with MAC or Linux if you
have any around.

We just set this up last spring and are hoping things continue to go
well this fall.  Using WPA2 Enterprise EAP/TTLS with PAP inside the
tunnel in our experience worked the most reliably.  Since PAP is
involved, we can have the RADIUS server make decisions along the
authentication process (post-auth) to determine which VLAN to drop the
clients into in the event of a sanction or other operational need.  I
ended up writing a small amount of Perl.  We use FreeRADIUS, but
Radiator can do all this as well.  Saying that, MS clients do not have
native support for TTLS (tunneled TLS).  To address that, we decided
to engage cloudpath's XpressConnect utility
(http://www.cloudpath.net/products/products.php) to automate the
client side configuration of the 802.1x supplicant, installation of a
MS windows TTLS supplicant (secureW2) and the demotion of the
non-crypto SSIDs so the users stay on the Secure SSID.  This way the
same TTLS client is on every windows machine.  We have coverage for
Windows, MAC, ubuntu, iphone/ipad.  If your institutional policies
dictate AD, you can likely get most of this working through policy,
but we have a lot of walk in's and students around...

Regards,

Josh Richard
University of Minnesota Duluth