Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Data "Sharing" Policy

From: Kevin Casey <CaseyK () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 10:40:09 -0400

Good morning.  Does anyone have a written policy they could share
governing how sensitive data should "move" across your organization?  We
have a situation where individuals/departments are (for example)
collecting info from prospective students on their own via the Web.

We need a policy that not only addresses this use of home-grown forms,
but also sending sensitive info via (unencrypted) email, etc., and even
via non-digital means (e.g. applications with SS#s in a briefcase taken
off campus).  We also need to define what "sensitive," "confidential,"
etc. means in the context of data....

We have an "acceptable use" policy that mentions this topic, but with
inadequate specificity.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Casey
Executive Director
Information Resources

Phone:  (207) 941-7123

Fax:  (207) 941-7988

caseyk () husson edu <mailto:caseyk () husson edu>

 Husson University

 www.husson.edu <http://www.husson.edu/>