Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus Single Sign-On

From: Jack Suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:11:16 -0400

Phillip,
I'd say the first thing to do is to look at what applications you have that
the SSO will be fronting. Some apps  have connectors only for CAS and others
may only support Shibboleth. Knowing your mix is important. Increasingly you
will need SAML/Shibboleth through InCommon as more entities join InCommon.
Saying that, CAS has some advanced features for multi-factor, if that is
needed you might need to go with CAS. CAS is also integrated into many
campus-based products -- commercial and open source.

Finally, you can use CAS and shibboleth concurrently. Many use CAS as an
authenticator for shibboleth, UMBC is doing the opposite for a 3rd party
application that presently only supports CAS.

UMBC is not far from you, if you would like to come down and talk to the
technical staff here give us a call. We can show you how we use both.

jack

Jack Suess             UMBC VP of IT & CIO
jack () umbc edu     1000 Hilltop Circle
410.455.2582          Baltimore Md, 21250
Homepage:             http://bit.ly/fSB5ID

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM, pmorley () mcdaniel edu <pmorley () mcdaniel edu