Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Case Images

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 08:26:28 -0500

To my knowledge, the only certain way to demonstrate chain of custody and maintain the integrity of the data, from a court's perspective, is to retain the original hard drive. You could conceivably store them off-site in a secure location where chain of custody can be maintained, e.g. with a bank.

I wouldn't do anything without checking with your General Counsel first. I'd phrase the question "How can I...?", a "Can I...?" question will more than likely get a "No" answer. :)

Kevin
--

Kevin Halgren
Assistant Director - Systems and Network Services