Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Case Images

From: "Rajewski, Jonathan" <rajewski () CHAMPLAIN EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 09:56:31 -0400

Having a digital forensic image with some type of integrity checking
(MD5/SHA1 etc..) will pass best practices and legal requirements. Having
two validated copies is also best practice.

That said, to help with your original question -

Unless you have some type of regulatory/legal reason to retain your
images, I would contact those involved in the dispute as well as legal
counsel to determine if they still want you to retain the images. Most
figures ready to help them make the best educated/legal decision for your
situation/organization - for example - if you put a number on storing 15TB
of data associated with a case (physical space/cooling/security etc) - or
- the cost of the SAN/NAS or HDDs to store the hardware etc. You could
then use those conversations as justification for a larger budget or
shifting cost to the respective department that wants you to hold on to
the images.

Moving forward I would recommend establishing an evidence disposition
policy. It sounds like you have one in place, but for what it's worth, a
good disposition policy will have a framework to visit your case
log/evidence on a regular basis. That way you can escalate space and cost
issues to management.

Also - are you compressing your images? If you're using EnCase or FTK
there are built in compression features that can compress/hash on the fly,
which can save you considerably on space if you have hard drives that are
half full.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Jon

--
Jonathan T. Rajewski, MS, CCE, EnCe, CISSP, CFE
Assistant Professor, Digital Forensics, Champlain College

Champlain College
West Hall ­ Room 205
163 South Willard Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Office: +1 802-865-5460
Google Voice - +1 802-318-4804
Mobile - Available via request
Skype - jtrajewski

rajewski () champlain edu
jonathan.rajewski () leo gov

PGP Public Key: Located on keyserver.pgp.com