Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: web filtering

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 13:04:33 -0500

1Gbps Internet through our state R&E network (typical use is around 125-150Mbps, 5-minute peak up to 250Mbps) E8500 can scale to 2-8 Gbps depending on feature sets needed)
~7000 students
~600 faculty/staff
Content filtering is only for our sister Tech school subnets (substantial numbers of high-school age kids there)
~750 tech school students
~60 tech school FTE
We traffic shape only P2P traffic
Network antivirus utilizes deep packet inspection, blocks malicious traffic as well as access to websites with known malware on-the-fly Little or no overhead noted, it's designed to manage up to our full available throughput and have growth beyond that so we aren't working it hard at the moment. Replaced Cisco ASA firewall and Netenforcer traffic shaper as well as providing new features when we went from 60Mbps commercial Internet to R&E 1Gigabit.