Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Manual locking workstations

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:20:06 +0000

We use "peer pressure" in our local group to encourage locking before stepping away.  An unattended workstation might
result in freeing the fish (linux) or pointing the browser at the Gunther website.  Most users won't let that happen
twice.  Depending on the local audience, you may have to pick another website.  Maybe you could build an appropriate
(or suitably inappropriate) webpage locally for this purpose only.

We have no institutional policy requiring locking unattended stations nor even a stated practice recommending it.
Various units may require it, depending on the risks associated with unauthorized use combined with the exposure to
unauthorized users.  I realize that any office with two employees has two instances of an unauthorized user of the
other user's login, but I don't lose any sleep over that.

Meanwhile, I lock my workstation before leaving, even though I trust my immediate co-workers implicitly.  I trust that
they would take advantage of such an opportunity in one, and only one, way.

Bob Bayn                    (435)797-2396                 Security Team
                  You are on the Security Team, too.
Be an Internet Skeptic!  There's nothing really free on the 'net
Office of Information Technology     at     Utah State University
            http://tinyurl.com/bicyclists-share-kidneys