Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Manual locking workstations

From: "Hart, Lee Anne" <LeeAnne.Hart () MONTGOMERYCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:22:11 -0400

Hi Andrea,
The biggest problem I see with what you are suggesting is that requiring people to manually lock their workstation when
they step away is not enforceable or auditable - it is a recommendation or best practice. Standards are most effective
when they are enforceable and auditable.
However, during your security awareness efforts, you should certainly educate people on why they should lock their
workstations and show them how (shortcuts, etc.) but it doesn't belong in a standard. Configuring systems to lock after
5 - 15 minutes of inactivity is enforceable (OS settings/group policies) and auditable and most certainly belongs in
secure computing standard.
Good luck!
Lee Anne