Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Security at Joint Techs Meeting this summer in Fairbanks

From: Joe St Sauver <joe () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:06:30 -0700

Hi,

For those of you who might be interested in sharing information about
interesting security-related work or research you may be doing, I'd like
to mention that Internet2 and ESNet, along with our host, the University
of Alaska-Fairbanks, will be holding the summer Joint Techs meeting in
Fairbanks, Alaska from July 10th-14th, 2011. See
http://events.internet2.edu/2011/jt-uaf/

For context, security is one of the Joint Techs "Continued Interest Topics"
for that meeting. The Security Focus area is interested in network security
and/or system security talks including (but not limited to) talks on:

    * Routing security (RPKI and BGP route hijacking analysis/mitigation,
      attacks against the routing infrastructure control plane, etc.)

    * Layer-2 ethernet security (ARP/ND spoofing and related threats)

    * IPSec deployment experiences

    * Scalable deployment of multifactor/multichannel authentication
      (including lessons learned from large scale deployments of crypto
      tokens, personal certs, biometrics, etc.)

    * New security issues arising from commercial deployment of
      large-scale NAT (aka "carrier grade NAT"), particularly with respect
      to successful backtracking abnd mitigation of observed security
      incidents

    * The unique challenges of network security at 10Gps and higher speeds

    * Security consideration related to US UCAN and broadband
      stimulus-related activities

    * Physical security of advanced networking facilities

    * New and particularly promising open source network security tools
      the community should know about

    * Reports on security related work by Internet2-related entities
      in leading third party organizations such as the IETF, IEEE, NANOG,
      ICANN, ARIN/RIPE/APNIC/LACNIC/AFRINIC, ACM, IEEE, APWG, MAAWG, etc.

Proposals are still being accepted through May 5th, but may close
early if all speaking slots (typically 20 minutes in length) are full
with accepted proposals, so if you're interested in presenting in
Fairbanks this summer, I'd encourage you not to delay in submitting
your proposal (the form to do this is available at
http://events.internet2.edu/2011/jt-uaf/proposal.cfm )

This should be a great meeting, and you just can't beat the location --
Alaska is absolutely beautiful in the summer (and I don't say that just
because I myself went to school at UAF!)

Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions,

Regards,

Joe St Sauver (joe () oregon uoregon edu or joe () internet2 edu)
Internet2 Nationwide Security Programs Manager