Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI

From: Barron Hulver <Barron.Hulver () OBERLIN EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:08:55 -0400

I'm in the process of working through our PCI compliance and submitting the SAQ for each of our merchant accounts, but I don't think the IPv6 scanning is a major issue.

First, my observation is that PCI lags behind the industry. For example, as someone else has already pointed out, there is no NAT in IPv6.

Second, I'm going to use additional contexts on our firewalls to segment systems applicable for each merchant account into *very* small subnets in order to limit the scope of PCI. (Segmentation was already mentioned by someone else.) I'm currently thinking that I will administer the PCI contexts while I continue to have my staff manage the other contexts.

Third, there is always the option to not enable IPv6 on those systems that are in scope for PCI.

Barron

Barron Hulver
Director of Networking, Operations, and Systems
Center for Information Technology
Oberlin College
148 West College Street
Oberlin, OH  44074