Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: InfoSec Podcasts

From: Brian J Smith-Sweeney <bsmithsweeney () NYU EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 17:05:06 -0400

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Drake, Craig <c-drake () neiu edu> wrote:
Just wondering if there are any InfoSec Podcasts out there that people on
this listserv really like?  I know there is a lot of “fluff” out there.
Looking for recommendations for some really good ones.  I have a long
commute and a need to catch up on CPEs.

Thank you,

-Craig

Hey Craig,

I'll assume by your mention of fluff that you've already gone the
"search iTunes for security ->download samples -> delete most of them"
route, and others have already given some good suggestions,  so I will
just add a couple you may have not seen:

* Risky Business (http://risky.biz/netcasts/risky-business) is my
favorite of the standard security news Podcasts.  There's a bit of
fluff, but the analysis is generally pretty solid and they manage to
keep it entertaining without being over the top.  They do interviews
as well, which notably includes sponsor interviews (may not be
everyone's cup of tea).

* The Digital Underground (http://threatpost.com/en_us/podcast)
eschews the standard News->Topic->drinking/carousing format, and
instead conducts a series of interviews with interesting folks in the
information security community. I like this format a lot.

One caveat: I'm way behind on security podcast listening, so can't
really speak for the current state of either of these.

SIRA (http://societyinforisk.org/podcast) has also started a podcast,
which I haven't checked out yet but plan to  soon.

Slightly off-topic, I've also really gotten into Planet Money
(http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/) and the Freakonomics podcast
(http://www.freakonomics.com/tag/freakonomics-podcast/) - the stories
covered present economic concepts in a way that is accessible and in
my opinion translates very well to our field.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Smith-Sweeney            Project Lead
ITS Technology Security Services, New York University
http://www.nyu.edu/its/security