Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Center Design - Are discrete routers needed?

From: "Hahues, Sven" <shahues () FGCU EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:57:04 -0400

Mr. Flynn,

Based on what you said it sounds to me like if you are going to be routing datacenter traffic and want to firewall it.
If this is the case you might as well do it all on one firewall, especially since you said the inline device will have
to support the traffic capabilities anyways.

This does not sound too much different than creating a screened subnet/dmz just on the trusted side of your network.
Simple vlan and some ospf/static routing can be done by pretty much any moderately powerful firewall these days.

While you do not mention this directly, I would personally shy away from putting all important networks into one
firewall unless you have built in redundancy or are using them just for firewalling/simple routing.  If you start
adding extra complexity, such as a lot of IPsec site-site vpn tunnels, or BGP routing with multiple peers, separating
it out would probably not be a bad idea.

As far as the blades go, I cannot speak to that, we have always used a purpose built appliance.

In regards to the counter points you posted specifically:

*       firewalls won't be able to handle the aggregate performance needs
I think this greatly depends on what firewall you purchase.  Junipers SRX series of firewalls scales to some insane
amount of traffic, anywhere from a few 100mbit to 120gbps (in their biggest SRX 5800)

*       best of breed devices designed specifically for routing should be used rather than firewalls
This really depends on your routing needs.  If all the device does is static routing, you do not really need a fully
featured router.  Then again, looking at the SRX series it has all the routing capabilities of a Junos based router,
with a firewall stack on top.   That could give you both depending on your needs.

*       having two sets of devices will be more reliable as it will provide more configuration and downtime response
options
This is partially correct in my opinion.  If you get a device that has good failover support they can be just as
reliable.  You do however get more flexibility out of two devices than one.

*       routers will have more features and capabilities to support redundant, high availability paths between multiple
data centers.
I hate to use the cop out answer, but it really depends on a lot of stuff.  If you have data centers that are
relatively close together you can use some vendor specific failover technology and not have to worry about using VRRP
or other things like that.  If you have the need to run some automatic route failover via BGP (i or e), then a  real
router would probably be better.

Sorry for the long wall of text.

TL:DR - I think it really depends on your budget, and factors such as locations, and traffic volumes.

HTH

Sven

Sven Hahues
FGCU Network Services
Tel: (239) 590 1337
E-Mail: shahues () fgcu edu

Computing & Network Services will NEVER ask you for your password