Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Center Design - Are discrete routers needed?

From: "Everett, Alex D" <alex.everett () UNC EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:37:15 +0000

Gary:

Our situation doesn’t mirror what you are describing. Today, we have data center routers AND data center hardware
firewalls all at Layer3. The firewalls are only for specific data center networks, not ALL networks, and deny all
inbound by default.
To you points, in order:

  1.  Not sure I understand what you are saying. Either way, the firewall will need to handle the same load. Here, I
assume that load is all inter vlan traffic.
  2.  Not really convinced that would be a good strategy. A much more important question is who can manage this
infrastructure, do they have the expertise, and does your platform support your goals (IPv6, jumboframes, multicast,
jsrp/hsrp/vrrp, etc.).
  3.  Not really convinced of this. Now you increase the chance of a single failure, power requirements, rack space,
etc. Planning is more important here (active/passive?, VSS)
  4.  Maybe, maybe not, see item 2.

Make sure to get recommendations if you go with blades, I am just not familiar of many positive experiences, or in
general.
We have chosen L3 implementations so far and use OSPF for internal routing, which we had to learn.
This gives you more flexibility on location and less port density needs.
You may also want to think where load balancing will fit in.

Sincerely,

Alex Everett, CISSP, CCNA
University of North Carolina