Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI v2.0 Requirement 8.3

From: Mike Leach <mjl9 () PSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:30:28 -0500

Dan,

Our first response is, "Please explain why you need remote access to a card
processing environment." In other words we try to discourage that when
possible. Even so some merchant areas need remote access to carry out
business needs. Most of the time our merchants use the User ID and a
certificate on the machine to provide the two-factors. This also forces use
of a known, supported machine to access the card processing environment.

Thank you,

Mike Leach

Compliance Coordinator

Security Operations and Services