Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: border filtering questions

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:07:51 -0500

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:41:13 EST, Jeff Murphy said:

[  ]  We don't block traffic to/from known bad addresses/netblocks at our border.

Define "known bad addresses/netblocks".  With the recent exhaustion of the IANA IPv4
space, this basically equates to "RFC1918, class E, and similar bogons", unless you
want to follow the Team Cymru feed of space not sub-allocated by an RIR yet.  If
you have some *other* definition of "known bad" (including hijacked space, dead space,
and so on), it probably should be specified...

Oh, and you probably should ask separately for IPv4 and IPv6. ;)