Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: border filtering questions

From: Charlie Reitsma <reitsmac () DENISON EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:53:14 -0500

Quoting Jeff Murphy <jcmurphy () BUFFALO EDU>:

Good Monday Sec Folks,

If you have a moment, can you hit reply, check the appropriate box and fill in the blank if there is one under that box?

[ ] We don't block traffic to/from known bad addresses/netblocks at our border.

[ x ] We manually block traffic to/from known bad addresses/netblocks at our border (someone logs into a device and types in the address/netblock. frequency can be rarely-to-routine, I'm interested in whether you do it at all)

I'd like to know how to do it automatically but not enough to pay for it.

[ ] We automatically* block traffic to/from known bad addresses/netblocks at our border using a border router (ACL) and free/homegrown software (software talks directly to the router) (*using some feed of addresses/netblocks, for example obtained via a SIEM or external intelligence sources)

[ ] We automatically* block traffic to/from known bad addresses/netblocks at our border using a border router (ACL) and commercial software (software talks directly to the router) (*using some feed of addresses/netblocks, for example obtained via a SIEM or external intelligence sources)

        What's the name of the commercial software package/vendor: _____

[ ] We automatically* block traffic to/from known bad addresses/netblocks at our border using a commercial inline appliance (IPS, packet shaper, firewall) and free/homegrown software (software talks directly to the appliance) (*using some feed of addresses/netblocks, for example obtained via a SIEM or external intelligence sources, the feed is directly consumed by the appliance and not manually entered or pushed in via free/homegrown software)

        What's the name of the appliance vendor: _____

[ ] We automatically* block traffic to/from known bad addresses/netblocks at our border using a commercial inline appliance (IPS, packet shaper, firewall) and commercial software (software talks directly to the appliance) (*using some feed of addresses/netblocks, for example obtained via a SIEM or external intelligence sources, the feed is directly consumed by the appliance and not manually entered or pushed in via free/homegrown software)

        What's the name of the appliance vendor: ______
        What's the name of the commercial software package/vendor: _____

Jeff, your survey is weak! I want to tell you more! Here it is: _________

I'll anonymize/summarize back to the list.

thanks,

jeff murphy
information security program manager
university at buffalo