Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fortinet vs. Palo Alto

From: "Kellogg, Brian D." <bkellogg () SBU EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:34:32 -0500

I know Sonicwall is not in the discussion here, but I would like to take this opportunity to advise against using them
since they were mentioned below.  We have been burnt severely by their product and their support.  We sincerely regret
our decision to move to Sonicwall; bar none the worst decision of my career.  The only remotely redeeming fact of our
switch to Sonicwall is that we could afford two of them in a failover pair; trust me, the failover secondary unit is
not an option when considering Sonicwall.  We disabled their UTM services as well due to issues.  I've been
administering FWs for close to two decades and I have never had the problems in that time with FWs that I have seen
from the Sonicwalls in two years.  I could go on and on, but my therapist says I need to let go and move on.

To be somewhat fair there have been some cases opened with their support where support has been good, but for the most
part it is bad; especially so on off hours.

Rant over,
Brian