Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Fortinet vs. Palo Alto

From: "Consolvo, Corbett D" <cc72 () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:21:29 -0600

Folks,
  We're doing some firewall evaluations and was wondering if anyone has any input on Fortinet vs. Palo Alto.  We're
looking at them for multi-Gb installations (perimeter, data center, possibly dorms) and my impression is that Palo Alto
is more polished but Fortinet looks to be less expensive as well as providing some features (such as vulnerability
assessment and chassis versions) that Palo Alto doesn't.  Any feedback (especially real-world experience) on either or
both products would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks
Corbett Consolvo
Texas State University