Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Degausser

From: Anthony Phillips <anthony () KSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 16:52:05 -0500

In a previous incarnation I used a radial arm saw with a carbide blade.  You
could clamp a number of like sized drives together, line them up and run one
pass right along the spindles, severing every track on every platter.  This
technique requires a controlled environment since you will get lots of
sparks and metal fragments and from laptop drives lots of glass dust/shards.
We are now trying to be a little more sophisticated with some combination of
degaussing & shredding.  To that end we have looked at a combination of a
Garner HD-3WXL degausser (~$7K) plus an Amerishred AMS-150HD shredder
(~$15K), but are leaning toward a Garner HDTD-8800 degausser (~$25K) instead
due to the large drawer being able to accommodate other media like tapes,
etc.  I still strongly recommend either degaussing followed immediately by
physical destruction for the ease of verifying mentioned earlier, or more
complete destruction than is obtainable with a drill press.  I know we
probably don't have anything that anyone is going to invest the time and
money required to recover from that level of destruction, but if you can say
(and verify to an auditor) "Everything is shredded to specification X" it
can potentially keep you out of a lot of hot water down the road.

Anthony Phillips

Computer Security Analyst

Kansas State University

785-532-3341

anthony () ksu edu

K-State will never ask for your eID username or password in an e-mail to
keep your account active.

If you do give someone your username and password in an e-mail the account
will be disabled.

"The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems
are your own. You don't blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the
President. You realize that you control your own destiny."

-- Albert Ellis