Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Degausser

From: Guy Pace <gpace () SBCTC EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:24:42 -0700

Check the services in your area. We build up a pick-up load of drives for destruction and take them to a local
industrial shredder (http://adgshred.com/Index.htm). I can either wait and witness the destruction of the drives or
just trust them that it is done. They are bonded and insured and vetted through a state contract. I get a certificate
of destruction.

I also know that the tiny portions of the drives are separated out and what can be recycled is recycled. Last truckload
(my Mazda B4000) cost us about $125 on state contract. Cheap, simple, reliable.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Information Technology Division
WA State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)
3101 Northup Way, Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98004
425-803-9724
gpace () sbctc edu