Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: copyright infringement notices volume

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:48:37 -0400

 On 9/17/2010 7:15 AM, John Ladwig wrote:
I *had* meant to send my policy query only to Jeff but given the sudden but inevitable betrayal by my MUA, I'm
interested in BT control policies, as some I've seen apply to bulk-transfer only, and others apply to control and
discovery traffic.  Do you do full-block or radically-degraded service, etc?

It occurs to me that blocking BT via bulk-transfer policies without also limiting tracker and other discovery traffic
may net one the worst of both worlds;users grumpy about not being able to transfer fiels, *and* DMCA notices due to
uncontrolled tracker traffic.

We block BitTorrent, but do allow it for World of Warcraft updates (students get very
vocal when that doesn't work).  Those specific updates are recognized by the Procera.

If you are less flexible in identifying that traffic, WoW updates are typically BT over
port 3724, but your users may hard-code that into their own BT client and take advantage :)

We also have a "BitTorrent Allowed" exception object that requires presenting a valid
case and justification for the exemption, which takes care of the CS-types and linux
junkies that want to obtain .iso images and related files that way.  The process
includes (as I've seen mentioned by others regarding BT-based .iso downloads)
suggestions of finding a suitably well connected FTP source.  We can pull an .iso via
FTP over Internet2 a whole lot faster than any BT process.  Consequently, our exception
list is down to 2-3.

Jeff