Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Crooks, thieves, kidnappers...

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 09:38:50 -0500

On 09/08/2010 09:00 AM, Phil Lambert wrote:
Smarter?  It seems to me that a smarter mail-client developer would have been able to utilize the ... wait for it...
"Subject" field.

They do. It's called the In-Reply-To header. However, if that were the only approach to threading then displaying the thread would be pointless since every message in the thread would appear to be in reply to the first message.

You should read http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html (and other pages on the topic of email threading) before you continue to insinuate "complex" is equivalent to "dumb".

John Hoffoss<john.hoffoss () CSU MNSCU EDU>  9/7/2010 5:32 PM>>>
Your mail client cleverly embeds a ThreadID field that allows smarter mail clients to track individual threads and
group them.

You were probably just speaking in generic terms, but I think you meant that Message-IDs of previous messages in the thread are stored in the References header.

I think that it is logically impossible for an email conversation (beyond its simplest forms) to have one singular thread, and a single message can be part of multiple threads.

Jesse