Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stolen Laptops

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:30:28 -0500

On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:36 PM, Sherry Callahan wrote:

Thanks, Joel.  Unfortunately, about half of our laptops go off campus and never re-connect to AD so this wouldn't help
us.  Does anyone else have this problem with "disappearing" equipment

We also have a lot that go off-campus  but few that never at least connect network wise that can checkin to our
existing PGP keyserver.

In the XP world, off-campus forever w/ no vpn will work fairly well.  Microsoft has "helped" some with the MS Licensing
servers for Vista/Windows 7/Office 2010.   If they can't get back to the key server at least every 180days, they go
into limited use-mode.    That should facilitate the VPN/AD/bring the dang box back to work.

I always think that the MS-oriented solution is you trust IPsec connectivity to your DCs and people get to them from
everywhere. Deploying that scenario in .edu always seems nearly insurmountable when dealing with heterogenous
systems/administration.