Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Schools using SourceFire for IPS

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 08:56:20 -0400

I have similar thoughts on the matter, although we do have good firewalling
set up here.  It's nice to see inbound attacks that might traverse a
firewall (vulnerability exploits, brute force, etc) be blocked, as well as
blocking any outbound CnC communication or attempts to infect others that
might come from an internal system that gets infected.  We still handle
those internal systems as we might if they had been identified using an IDS
(isolate, contact owner, etc), but the IPS helps keep us from causing others
grief in that situation.

We use our current IPS for some things that could be accomplished with an
IDS, like trying to identify malware download sites through behavior
patterns.  Combining IDS or log correlation with an automatic firewall or
router rule could also accomplish the brute force attack protection.

The usefulness of one versus the other partially depends upon the other
resources at your disposal (good firewall, NAC, log correlation, etc), your
network architecture, and organizational issues.  There are arguments to be
made for combinations of IPS and IDS in different network locations (border,
intranet, VPN, etc).

I know that many shy away from IPS because they feel it will break
production services or be the target of blamestorming.  Emory has been using
it for about five years and while I'm told there was some inaccurate blaming
early on, it's been pretty smooth sailing during my year here.

Brad Judy

Emory University