Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Schools using SourceFire for IPS

From: Seth Hall <seth () REMOR COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:33:42 -0400

On Jul 20, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Brad Judy wrote:

We’re currently evaluating options for an IPS replacement project and we’re interested in hearing from any EDU’s who
have deployed SourceFire equipment in an in-line IPS mode.

Is there anyone willing to speak publicly about the real world benefits or perceived benefits they get from doing
active IPS as opposed to just passively monitoring traffic in IDS mode?

Sorry for hijacking your topic Brad, but I'd like to find out more generically about the reason why people choose IPS
over (or in addition to) IDS. :)

  .Seth