Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Vista/7 Shadow Copy

From: "Flynn, Gary" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 15:25:36 -0400

What do you think of disabling Shadow Copy on computers not having full disk encryption to prevent inadvertent storage
of sensitive data? Our support folks indicated they don't use the feature for maintenance or troubleshooting. Some of
our Windows folks are worried that it might be used as part of the backup process or to recover files from servers
(???). And it it nice to have around when pushing patches or changes that have higher risk of failure (e.g. Service
packs).