Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vista/7 Shadow Copy

From: Theodore Pham <telamon () CMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 10:37:56 -0400

As far as I know, all the tools for directly accessing the shadow volume
snapshots require administrator privileges.  So running with UAC insulates you
to a degree from malware being able to get to them.  This of course assumes the
user doesn't give the malware admin privileges and or some exploit isn't being
used to escalate privileges.

Disabling Volume Shadow Copy also disables the Previous Versions (aka right
click on a file and the Previous Versions tab lets you view prior revisions to
the file corresponding to system restore snapshots.)

Not to mention VSS is a treasure trove of forensic data should you need it.

However, if you're in a managed environment where your user data is stored on
file servers and re-imaging a machine isn't an ordeal, then disabling VSS might
be a good idea.

Off the top of my head, another way to deal with this might be to create
separate OS/software and user data partitions.  Set VSS to monitor and shapshot
the OS/software partition and turn it off for the user data partition.

Ted Pham
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

Flynn, Gary wrote:
--_000_C82152385F25flynngnjmuedu_

Yes, the question concerned clients.

NTBACKUP appears to use the service to handle files in use. If the service =
is shut down, the files will be skipped.

But disabling the "System Protection" feature for a volume doesn't appear t=
o shut down the Volume Shadow Copy service and make it unavailable to other=
 applications. All it does is tell one application, the System Protection a=
pplication that makes the automated copies, to no longer make use of the se=
rvice.

The concern is inadvertent storage of sensitive data in the shadow copies. =
Note that data may be present even if a "secure delete" utility is used as =
the shadow functionality will copy any blocks overwritten by the secure del=
ete utility. And even if full disk encryption is present, that only protect=
s the data if the computer is stolen. It doesn't provide any protection fro=
m malware and I'd argue that malware is a more serious and common threat to=
 the confidentiality and integrity of data than theft. I've seen several we=
b sites that give instructions for recovering data from shadow copies from =
the command line and even mapping drive letters to them though I've not tri=
ed them.