Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compromised netid "imt3"

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 13:59:24 -0400

On Fri, 21 May 2010 12:26:28 EDT, "Jasek, Robert" said:
Client Accounts - The following Netid has been locked,
the reader of this message is not an intended recipient,

I believe the technical name for this is "whoops".

destroy all copies of the original message

That sucker left at least 5 copies on spinning media on its way through
our mail system.  And we're good enough at forensics to know that hitting
the 'Discard' button does *not* destroy all copies.  Want to pay us for the
downtime we'll need to *actually* destroy them?

Moral: Use encryption, not disclaimers.