Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: quick poll please.. unauthenticated wireless

From: "Michael J. Wheeler" <mwheeler () PITTSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:54:55 -0500

On 4/20/2010 2:25 PM, Barros, Jacob wrote:
Getting kick back about our model of wireless network access and I need
a quick poll:

Do you offer unauthenticated wireless for conference facilities?

All our APs have a public SSID.

Is that wireless encrypted?

Nope.

Is it a completely separate network / just internet access only?

Yes, completely separate. We don't allow unencrypted mail traffic (port 25,
110), but pretty much everything else is allowed. Public access traffic
does run through our Allot NetEnforcer which (tries) to rate-limit P2P to
something completely unusable to dissuade people from trying to use it for
that purpose.

--
Michael J. Wheeler
Assistant Director, Systems and Networking

Thanks.

Jacob Barros

Network Administrator

Grace College and Seminary