Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Best Forensic Tools?

From: Wayne Samardzich <Samardzi () CALUMET PURDUE EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:05:49 -0500

David,

I agree. As you and others know, we in IT get thrown into things at a
moment's notice.  I do need a tool that will make a drive copy so that
we may preserve the original and document the chain of custody in case
we do end up in court.  I'm not interested in bit dissection to see if
the data had been changed on a quantum level.

It would be good to have a tool box of good tools to do at least the
first phases of evidence gathering and preservation for the experts.

Training and experience are without a doubt important, if you can get
them!

Wayne