Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Best Forensic Tools?

From: Guy Pace <gpace () SBCTC EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:55:38 -0700

Encase and Forensic Toolkit (FTK) are the more common around here. None of the are simple to use, especially if you are
using them for forensic analysis.

It isn't the software that has the reputation with the courts, it is the investigator/examiner that has earned the
respect and reputation through hard experience. It doesn't matter what software you use, you can still make a hash of
an investigation if you don't understand the procedures and process and know what you are doing.

I recommend getting some training, first. Then looking at the tools that seem to fit your needs best. A good,
thoughtful investigator/examiner using simple, well-understood tools and knowing how to present the evidence can trump
an Encase bootcamp grad police officer in court.

Harlan Carvey uses a lot of self-designed tools for forensics work. He is well known to the court systems where he
works, and can speak plainly and authoritatively to the information he gathers in his investigations. He is the
exception and exceptional. Could an untrained person grab a bunch of his tools and do the same?  Not likely.

Also, never underestimate where an incident will end up. Always approach an incident as though it will end up in court,
pay attention to process and chain of evidence and act accordingly. If you are not trained to gather forensic evidence
with the tools you have and on the platform in question, stop and bring in a certified digital forensic investigator.
It is that important.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Information Technology Division
WA State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)
3101 Northup Way, Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98004
425-803-9724
gpace () sbctc edu

"Great art is a practice. Turn it into a process and the result is a paint-by-numbers system." Bob Lewis