Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Best Forensic Tools?

From: Zach Jansen <zjanse20 () CALVIN EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:56:48 -0400

Depends:

Access Data - Most user friendly.
Encase
Helix - Most budget friendly.

For copying Hard Drives:
dd
ftk imager
f-response -

I've tended to stay out of the true forensic analysis type situations . Reputation, experience, and training will be
very important for the investigator that submits anything as evidence, and I don't process nearly enough to have built
these things. I've been fortunate to have someone in house, a professor, that has built those skills and I always refer
serious forensic analysis work to him. Depending on the demand, you may find it more cost effective to contract with an
analyst than to keep one on staff. Of course, calling your local law enforcement friends is an important option as
well.

It's also worth pointing out, that some states have specific laws about who can process evidence and some situations
may require a licensed PI to be admissible.

Zach

--
Zach Jansen
Information Security Officer

On 3/30/2010 at 12:14 PM, in message
<A2B51EA69AA3A047AFAEB74B6654264C08421948 () EXCH-VS02 staff puc purduecal edu>,
Wayne Samardzich <Samardzi () CALUMET PURDUE EDU> wrote:

What forensic tools do you use?  For copying HD's,  looking for data,
e-discovery?

I've been looking and Encase and Safeback: not sure of the pricing
structures.   We need some tools that will be relatively easy to use and have
the reputation in the legal world for effectiveness and trustworthiness.

Best,

Wayne

Wayne Samardzich
Operations Supervisor