Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: virtual machines

From: Mike Lococo <mike.lococo () NYU EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:37:03 -0400

On 03/22/2010 11:30 AM, SCHALIP, MICHAEL wrote:
I’ve dealt with this kind of possibility in a previous life – and the
first step to any kind of control measures would be to make sure that
you’ve got a local policy in place first.

It seems to me that your policy regarding user-installed software should should be sufficient to address desktop virtualization as well. Users who are empowered (technically and by policy) to install arbitrary software on their workstations will be able to do so whether the system is physical or virtual. Users who are not so empowered can't/shouldn't-be installing virtualization infrastructure and running VM's at all.

I suppose in the rare case where users do have a legitimate business need to run a single sanctioned virtual system, but don't have the right to install additional arbitrary software, the virtualization platform might allow them to work around restrictions in their managed environments by installing additional "rogue" virtual-machines. This strikes me as a corner-case which is readily addressed through disciplinary action, though.

Virtualization raises a fair number of interesting issues on the server-side, but I'm not sure it is particularly game-changing on the desktop yet. If and when virtualization does land on the desktop in a big way, I think it will come with a suite of tools that attempt to make managing restricted-use desktops easier. I don't have links handy, but VMWare has talked about a vision of desktop virtualization which is kind of an amped-up version of roaming-profiles. If that vision is realized, virtualization will become an enforcement tool for managing desktops, not a circumvention tool.

Cheers,
Mike Lococo